Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

Down to the beach - and a book tag



Yesterday we had a walk down to the beach, along the front, and back up past the fields.

At this time of year there is hardly anyone around, and so far, the urban sprawl from town hasn't swallowed up the few houses down at the beach that were originally a fishing community. It soon will, I suppose, and then this unspoilt beach will have another shiny promenade and be utterly characterless, just like all the rest.

But for now, it's just a peaceful beach - and very popular with Spaniards and northern Europeans alike because of that.

Isn't this the nicest little finca by the beach that should just cost the odd 40 grand sterling? In your dreams


Looking towards Málaga, just us and someone fishing


A new shower, for disabled people too.
Now - how to get the wheelchair up the platform?



The local beach bar


Going for a walk on the beach, with your donkey, two dogs, and a goat of course


And I am tagged for a book thingy by Blue. So, as this is my Spanish blog, and I have hundreds of books within arm's reach, I have picked a book about Spain.

So from page 123, Spain, The Rough Guide, here are the first five sentences. The only five in fact.

There's more to see than you can fit into a single day without exhaustion, and you're liable to end up agreeing with Augustus Hare that while the Escorial "is so profoundly curious that it must of necessity be visited, it is so utterly dreary and so hopelessly fatiguing a sight that it requires the utmost patience to endure it."

The monastery
Visits to El Real Monasterio del Escorial used to be deeply regulated, with guided tours to each section. Recently, they've become more relaxed and you can use your ticket to enter, in whatever sequence you like, the Monastery, Palace, Royal Apartments, Pantheon and Library; the outlying Casas de Aribe and Infante now charge separate admission. To avoid the worst of the crowds, try visiting just before lunch, or pick that time for the royal apartments, which are the focus of all the coachtours.

For sustenance or relief, you'll find a cafetería and toilets near the ticket office, drinks are ok but meals a bit of a rip-off.


I haven't been. But it is on my list of things to do while in Spain. Perhaps I need to organise myself a weekend break. That would be good.

Here is the nearest I got to it. It's not my pic, but it is pretty similar to the view we had when we travelled down through Spain and went past San Lorenzo del Escorial.




I've added another book tag on Clouds. Totally different.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh we were supposed to be going for a day trip there on our holiday in F. last year.

But our guide book said it was quite restrictive with tickets etc, and it was quite complicated to get tickets.

Also we had to be up at an ungodly hour to get there in time, so we didn't bother. It was too hot for sight seeing when we visited really.

I liked the last picture very much, I had forgotten all about it.

The finca looked lovely, I can see myself there, totally! These places all get spoilt in the end don't they though? You know I like your Spanish posts!! ;0D

Stylin said...

Love that picture !!

PS:I am disappearing for a while,going home for my brothers wedding and then to Amsterdam for a vacation and will be back in June !

Peanut said...

Oh I love the pic of the person with the donkey, dogs and goat.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

My mom loves looking at your pictures. As we probably mentioned before, mom's trip to Andalucia and Gibraltar was the best trip she ever had.
--JB
P.S. Blogger seems to be acting up and we could not leave a comment on Pippa's blog. Please tell Pippa to keep requesting toast!