Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thai veg green curry

Searching on the tinties for a Thai veggie recipe, I came across one that seemed to have exactly the combination of ingredients I wanted on About.com

Here it is, with my variations in brackets.

Serves four (hmm, doubt that)

Tofu or chick peas
I green pepper, chopped
Asparagas, chopped, or green beans (I think beans go better)
Handful cherry toms
3/4 can coconut milk (soya)
Veg stock
Thai or sweet basil
Optional: 2/3 kaffir lime leaves (what??!!)

Green curry paste (this is the best bit)
Lemongrass
1/4 can coconut milk (soya milk)
1-3 green chillies
lots of coriander, leaves and stems
1 shallot, chopped (or any onion really)
4-5 cloves garlic
Piece of ginger, sliced
1 tbsp soy sauce (I use tamari)
2 tbsp lime juice (or lemon)
ground cumin
ground coriander
ground pepper
sugar (I ignore that)
salt



1) Zap paste ingredients
2) Add a little oil to pan and then pour paste into it and stir fry for a minute or so to release the fragrance
3) Add tofu or chick peas and stir fry until saturated with sauce
4) Add stock plus lime leaves. Stir, reduce heat and simmer for five mins
5) Add milk, veg and simmer 5-7 mins or until softened (or to personal taste I guess)
6) Serve (with rice. Or noodly things). Sprinkle with the basil, and/or red chilli if you want more spice.

Easy.



I use soya milk instead of coconut because we aren't fans of coconut milk, it's too sweet for our taste. Yeah, I know Thai food is coconutty, but what I wanted was the fresh greeny taste, and the hotness, so the rest of it was perfect for us. If you like stuff slightly sweeter than we do, soya milk sweetened with apple juice is probably a good choice.

The recipe does say you can experiment with other veg. I used Pak Soy yesterday for a change.

Limes don't seem to be very juicy and they are pricey, last time I bought them I needed two and they were 45p each. Yesterday I used lemons instead. They go further.

And I use tofu not chick peas. I daresay if you aren't vegetarian you can add whatever you prefer. It's the green paste that makes this curry so delicious.

3 comments:

reflective moments said...

yummm glad you omit the sugar and coconut milk as they are not part of my food plan...

Ashleigh said...

Sounds yummy!

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

mmmmm lovely recipe. Not too complicated either. I dislike coconut milk because I couldn't get fresh coconut, so I bought the de-hydrated stuff. It comes in a big flattened package (last time I did a curry). However, when I checked on the fat content, I was horrified.

Never used it since.

Jx